- Empty cabinets for the first time in years.
- Carbon-date questionable canned goods to determine approximate year purchased.
- Clean, sand and degrease cabinets for a smooth, clean painting surface.
- Remove all cabinet doors, drawers, hinges and knobs.
- Label all cabinet doors, drawers, hinges and knobs (so they can be returned to their original locations).
- Prime cabinet wood to prevent blotches and stains.
- Apply first coat of paint.
- Remove stray hairs that have fallen into wet paint.
- Watch paint dry for at least 90 minutes.
- Apply second coat of paint.
- Repeat steps 8 and 9.
- Finish and seal paint with protective varnish.
- Wait several days for paint to cure while keeping animals and small children at bay.
- Return cabinet doors, drawers, hinges and knobs to their original locations.
- Stand back and admire your work.
- Find a stray cabinet hinge a week later.
- Pretend not to notice and hope for the best.
Or, even easier, contact Drees when you’re ready to build an entire home that’s so you, right down to the kitchen cabinets. With flexible floor plans and countless customizable features, Drees makes it easy to design a home that fits your style – and your lifestyle.
Take a look at some of the kitchens we’ve helped our customers design:
Feeling inspired? Click here to find a Drees new-home specialist near you.